Nothing has been proven, but but here is what I know.
by Marion DeWall (Kendall's mother)
Kendall was reported dead by SAPD at about 7.30pm on March 19, 2019.
911 was called to Kendall’s apartment on Evans Road, by “JOHN DOE”, a recent acquaintance of Kendall’s who was in Kendall's apartment with her when she was shot.
The first responder to the scene was a San Antonio Firefighter. He found Kendall dead from a gunshot wound to the head, in her closet. “JOHN DOE” reported to the firefighter that Kendall had shot herself.
When SAPD arrived, they interviewed “JOHN DOE”, who said he was visiting Kendall that night. John Doe reported that Kendall shot herself while he was in the bathroom. Kendall did not own a gun. The gun belonged to John Doe.
From there, SAPD then reported Kendall’s death to David DeWall, my ex-husband and Kendall’s father, at about 9.00pm that night. SAPD told David that Kendall’s death was a suicide, apparently taking the word of “JOHN DOE” that Kendall had shot herself and he was not involved.
While we believe there is no stigma in suicide, WE DO NOT BELIEVE SUICIDE WAS THE CAUSE OF KENDALL’S DEATH. HERE IS WHY:
1. Kendall was right-handed, and gun residue was only found on Kendall’s left hand.
2. Kendall did not own a gun.
3. The bullet entered the back of Kendall’s head, as if she had been shot execution style
4. It would be nearly impossible for Kendall to have held and shot a heavy gun from that position
5. Kendall was found dead in her closet, as if she was trying to escape or hide
6. No suicide note was found
7. Kendall had no previous suicide attempts
8. Kendall had no prior suicide threats
9. There are many other reasons about Kendall's life, and plans she had made, but I won't go into those here.
After Kendall’s death, we learned that Kendall had a stalker and blackmailer:
• Kendall was being stalked by a former boyfriend, “MBM”. From our first introduction to MBM, we felt he was a user and a bad guy, and we wanted Kendall to have nothing to do with him. But he was a smooth talking manipulator who Kendall fell in love with.
• Kendall had provided MBM with a lot of money during their relationship together. He was using Kendall for her money, which she later learned he spent on drugs as well as his child support.
• MBM was angry when Kendall ended their relationship
• MBM stole property from Kendall after she broke up with him
• Sometime in early March, MBM began blackmailing Kendall with a sex video he had recorded, without her knowledge or consent, when she was intoxicated.
• MBM threatened to go public with this sex video, unless Kendall paid him blackmail money
• Kendall had taken out a payday loan days before her death to pay MBM
• Kendall was being helped financially by us, her parents, but she never told us of MBM’s threats, apparently because she was ashamed.
The police investigation into Kendall’s death was far less than complete:
• The police NEVER interviewed Kendall’s parents, her friends, or therapist
• The police DID NOT take Kendall’s laptop into evidence.
• To our knowledge, the police never interviewed MBM.
• The police would NOT disclose information about Kendall’s case to us, her parents, because the investigation into Kendall’s death “was under investigation.”
• Yet, the police investigation soon went SILENT
May 2019: MBM dies of a drug overdose
In May 2019, MBM died of a drug overdose. Which prompts the question...was he involved in Kendall’s death? Was his overdose related to his guilt and fear?
John Doe and MBM both knew each other, and both have criminal records for drug arrests. (Kendall was not a drug user. She was studying to become a medical doctor and was opposed to the use of drugs. That is one reason she broke up with MBM. )
In July 2019, David DeWall filed a complaint with SAPD under the Freedom of Information act, requesting Kendall’s medical reports, toxicology report, police investigation, records, and more. SAPD refused to provide this information and sent our complaint to the Texas State Attorney General’s Office (Ken Paxton). Paxton’s office replied they would not release Kendall’s records because her case is still “under investigation”. NOTE: We support the police and know they are challenged more now than ever, especially since the pandemic, the border crisis, and activist calls to de-fund the police. But we are also deeply saddened that Kendall’s investigation now appears to have gone cold.
SINCE THEN: Nothing. We have no answers. Just prayers. And Kindness Daily.